Port Campbell is a small seaside village set amidst some of Victoria's most spectacular coastline.
The location and size of the inlet at Port Campbell were originally noted in 1843 by whaler Captain Alexander Campbell. However, due to its relatively isolated position on the coastline it wasn’t until the late 1870s that the township was surveyed and the first lots of land were sold.
The history of Port Campbell revolves around the many shipwrecks that occurred on the coastline between Cape Otway and Port Fairy during the 1840s and 1920s. As settlers were drawn to the area by the development of grazing and agricultural properties, including those at Glenample and Buckleys Creek, Bass Strait opened up to cargo vessels. The formidable weather along the coast swept many such ships to their ruin, including the famous Loch Ard in 1878. As such, the area has become known as the “Shipwreck Coast”.
Tourism in Port Campbell began in the 1880s with development of the foreshore. At that time bathing boxes were introduced and pathways and steps were constructed down to the beach. Information about the wreck of the Loch Ard was also promoted and the town’s annual ball and concert were held during the holiday season. In later years, the foreshore was further beautified by a rotunda, dressing and shelter sheds and the planting of Norfolk Island pines.
Today Port Campbell continues to offer its visitors a relaxed seaside atmosphere.
Port Campbell National Park, Two Mile Bay, Discovery Walk, London Bridge, Loch Ard Gorge, safe swimming beach, jetty, boat ramp, Port Campbell Park.
Swimming, surfing, fishing, walking, sight seeing.
Twelve Apostles Tourism Association - Ph. 5598 6359
Port Campbell Visitor Information Centre 1300 255 or visit the 12 Apostles website